What Is Oxy Acetylene Welding?
Oxy Acetylene Welding is a type of Gas Welding Process that is used to join and cut the metals. It was developed by Edmond Fouche and Charles Picard, the French Engineers. In the name Oxy Acetylene Welding, we can observe two words oxy and acetylene; the word Oxy meant Oxygen, and Acetylene is the order-less hydrocarbon gas. So, the combination of oxygen and acetylene both are used to weld the metal parts.
Oxy Acetylene is also called as Oxy-Fuel Welding or Oxy-welding, or Gas welding. Furthermore, in Gas Welding, various flue gases are used with addition to Oxygen which depends upon the material and its strength. Even though the gases vary, the components, and process of welding will be remain same.
What can you learn from this post?
- Oxy Acetylene Welding Equipment
- Working Principle of Oxy Acetylene Welding
- Advantages And Disadvantages of Oxy Acetylene Welding
- Applications Of Oxy Acetylene Welding
Oxy Acetylene Welding Equipment:
A typical Oxy Acetylene Welding consists of
- Gas Cylinders: In the Gas Cylinders, the gases like Oxygen and Acetylene are stored at high pressure whenever the welding needs to be done, the gas is released manually.
- Regulator: A Regulator is a fixed part of the Cylinder; it is used to stop or slow down the pressure of the gas that is used to weld.
- Welding Torch: A Welding Torch is the main component in the oxy acetylene equipment where the flame is produced and used to weld or cut the materials. A welding torch produces a high-temperature flame according to the welding material.
- Non-Return Valve: Non-Return Valve is a type of valve that ensures the flow of gas is in one direction (that too out of the cylinder, regulator, and to the Torch.)
Working Principle of Oxy Acetylene Welding
The working principle of Oxy Acetylene Welding is simple in the process even though it is effective and efficient. The temperature of an Oxy Acetylene flame is about 3,500 degrees centigrade. The oxy acetylene uses the Fuel gases like Oxygen and Acetylene to weld the material.
In this process, the welding torch produces the high-temperature flame with the help of oxygen and acetylene. Due to the high flame, the metal that needs to be weld gets weak and melted, meanwhile, a filler material is used to fill the gaps between two workpieces. As the filler is cooled, the two workpieces will be joined.
Usage of type of Filler material depends upon the metal that needs to be weld. For example, if we want to weld the mild steel metal, then we have to use the mild steel filler. Similarly, if we want to weld the aluminum metal, then we have to use the aluminum filler.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Oxy Acetylene Welding:
The advantages and disadvantages of Oxy Acetylene are as follows.
Advantages of Oxy Acetylene Welding:
The advantages of Oxy Acetylene Welding are
- Oxy Acetylene is simple in construction, no huge parts and equipment are used in its installation like Arc Welding.
- Oxy Acetylene Welding is easy to operate and no need for highly skilled technicians to operate it.
- Not only for welding but also oxy acetylene is used to separate or cut the materials into pieces.
- Oxy Acetylene Welding is cheaper.
- As Oxy Acetylene uses the gases like oxygen and acetylene, it can be used to weld ferrous and even non-ferrous metals.
- The intensity of the flame can be adjusted to high and less by using the valve.
- It can be used for high melting metals and even for low melting metals.
Disadvantages of Oxy Acetylene Welding:
The Oxy Acetylene Welding does consist disadvantages too, they are
- The temperature of the flame is less when compared to the arc welding.
- As like arc welding, the oxy acetylene does not have a high flux shield over the weld.
- Oxy Acetylene is suitable for thin materials and medium thin materials whereas it is not suitable for thick materials.
Applications of Oxy Acetylene Welding:
The applications of oxy acetylene welding are vast and necessary. The applications of oxy acetylene are
- Oxy Acetylene is used in the industries like metal joining and metal cuttings.
- It is used in the Automobile repairs to join the damaged parts.
- Fabricating Workshops and industries.
All the welding types are used to join the metal or non-metal parts but due to the metal properties, they are not able to join by particular welding processes. So, different types of welding processes are evolved and used. Even the oxy acetylene is necessary and used in only a few areas, it is not suitable for joining all metals.,