What Is Whitworth Quick Return Mechanism?
Whitworth Quick Return Mechanism is a type of Single Slider Crank Chain Inversions mechanism. The Whitworth Mechanism is all about converting rotary motion (or turning motion) into the sliding motion (or to and fro motion). As the name, Quick Return indicates that the return stroke of the Whitworth is faster (or quicker) than the forward stroke.
In Manufacturing Technology, the machining of materials has prominent space. To machine (or cut) the material using a machine tool, a source which we call as Mechanism is required. But every machine does not use the same mechanism and it varies according to the requirement and cutting of the material. So, the Whitworth Quick Return is a type of mechanism that is used for particular purposes and machining (it will be explained in this article). One of its practical application can be found in Shaper (or Shaping Machine).
Table of Contents
What is Single Slider Crank Chain?
The Single Slider Crank Chain is a Four-Bar Mechanism. Whitworth quick return mechanism is one of the inversions (we can say the working mechanism) of the single slider crank chain. As the name indicates it consists of only one sliding pair (ram) and three turning pairs (connecting rod, crank, and frame). So, the main aim of the single slider crank mechanism is to convert the rotary motion (with the help of turning pairs) into sliding motion or vice versa.
If we observe the above line diagram, the single slider crank chain does consists of four links (link 1, link 2, link 3, and link 4).
Parts of Whitworth Quick Return Mechanism:
The Whitworth quick return mechanism is the inversion of singer slider crank chain then Whitworth does consist of similar construction and working parts but may vary a few parts in it. The typical Whitworth mechanism consists of four links and they are
The ram is the one and only sliding pair and slides over fixed guideways to perform the operations.
Link 2- Connecting Rod:
It is a turning pair in the Whitworth mechanism. Connecting Rod is a connecter of ram and crank which even helps in conversion of rotary motion to sliding motion
Link 3- Crank:
Crank is a type of turning pair and it is a rotary type part in the Whitworth mechanism.
Link 4- Frame:
The whole parts and mechanism are fixed to the frame. It is solid pair.
Working of Whitworth Quick Return Mechanism:
- The working of the Whitworth quick return mechanism is simple and important. The whole aim of the Whitworth mechanism is to convert the rotary motion to sliding motion; this rotary motion can be achieved with the help of the motor. Yes, the Motor is the source that helps the gear and crank to rotate.
- The gear is connected to the motor and the crank, connecting rod comes next to the gear. As the gear rotates, the connecting rod and crank will turn in a curve shape.
- Due to the curve motion of the connecting rod, the ram will move to and fro motion (or sliding motion). The ram is the part that performs the operations that we required.
- In the Whitworth Mechanism, the time of cutting stroke (or time of forwarding movement) is less than the time of return stroke (or backward movement). Or we can say that the return stroke is quick; thus the name itself is called Whitworth quick return mechanism.
- The time consumption in machining a workpiece is the ratio of time taken in cutting stroke (or forward movement) to the time taken in return stroke (or backward movement).
Advantages of Whitworth Quick Return Mechanism:
The Advantages of Whitworth Mechanism are
- Due to the forward slow movement, the workpiece achieves good finishing.
- The time of machining is less in the Whitworth mechanism.
- Whitworth Quick Return is simple in construction and easy to operate.
Applications of Whitworth Quick Return Mechanism:
The applications of Whitworth Mechanism are
- It can be used in Shaping Machine.
- Whitworth Mechanism can be used in Slotting Machines.
The movements of the forward and the backward are dependent upon the construction of the mechanism. The Whitworth quick return mechanism is an inversion and practical type mechanism of the single slider crank chain where the ram (sliding link) will be responsible for the machining of the workpiece and the other three turning pairs (connecting rod, crank, and frame) always tries to make the sliding pair to move.