What Is Hand Water Pump?
The Hand Water Pump is a type of pump that helps to suck the groundwater from depths and delivers it to the earth’s surface. The whole equipment of the hand-operated water pump is handled by a human (whereas; we can say that it uses the human effort) and due to the mechanical work done by the human, the water is drawn from the wells or depths.
As we know that the pumps are meant to discharge the fluids from the lower heads to the higher heads similarly, the hand-operated water pump is used. The pumps are worked with electricity whereas; no human effort is required in its operation but when it comes to the hand operated water pump, no electricity is involved and the human effort plays a major role in sucking and drawing the water from the depths.
- What Is Centrifugal Pump, Working Principle Of Centrifugal Pump-Parts, Advantages And Efficiency?
- What Is Reciprocating Pump And Reciprocating Compressor-Working And Advantages?
What can you learn from this post?
- Types Of Hand Water Pump
- Parts Of A Hand Water Pump
- Working Of Hand Water Pump
- Advantages Of Hand Water Pump
- Applications Of Hand Water Pump
Types Of Hand Water Pump:
We can find different types of hand water pump according to the construction, and purpose. If we observe the villages carefully, there are a number of hand-operated water pumps that are used for daily home needs and agricultural needs.
The requirement of water for Agricultural needs is more than the daily home needs so, the water drawing depth for agricultural needs will be more and require high-performing pumps. According to the drawing depths and performance, the different types of hand water pump are as follows
- Deep-Well Pump
- Direct Pump:
- Diaphragm Pump
These are the main types of hand water pump that uses for daily home needs and agricultural needs. We will read clearly and precisely about the Deep-Well Pump (one of the types of hand water pump) in this post. Let us start with parts of a hand water pump.
Parts Of A Hand Water Pump:
- Handle: The handle is a lever-type external component of the hand-operated water pump that is used to draw the water from the depths. The handle is operated by human effort.
- Piston: The piston is the internally operating component that helps to create the vacuum in the cylinder.
- Piston Valve or Back Pressure Valve: The piston or back pressure valve is a non-returning opening and closing component that helps to maintain the vacuum and deliver the water from the depths.
- Foot Valve: The foot valve is also an opening and closing component that helps the water to enter into the cylinder.
- Cylinder: The cylinder is a cylindrical part where the whole components will work.
- Piston Rod: The piston rod also called a connecting rod, fulfills the connection between the piston and the handle.
Working Of Hand Water Pump:
The working of hand water pump is simple and involves a basic principle process called suction process. If we remember the suction process in the engines, then it is simple to understand the working of hand water pump.
In the working of hand water pump, the handle plays a major role. The handle will be operated by the human whereas; the human will move the handle upward and downward directions to suck and draw the water from the depths. To understand clearly, let us get into some depth.
The piston is connected to the handle using the connecting rod or piston rod (in some situations, the chains are also used), once the handle is moved upward direction, the piston valve (or back pressure valve) will be closed and the foot valve will be opened. Due to this, the vacuum is created in the cylinder which is below the piston.
Now, the water is entered into the cylinder. As soon as the handle starts moving downward direction, the piston moves downward direction and the foot valve will be closed to restrict the water to escape from the cylinder. At the same time, the backpressure valve (or piston valve) will be opened and the piston downward movement will deliver the water to the outside using a narrow path. The normal or Deep-Well hand-operated water pump consists suction lift of 15 meters.
Advantages Of Hand Water Pump:
The advantages of hand water pump are as follows
- The working of hand-operated water pump does not require any electricity.
- It is easy to operate the hand-operated water pump and no heavy effort are required.
- The repairing of hand-operated water pump costs cheaper.
- It can be used for numerous cycles and heavy duties.
Applications Of Hand Water Pump:
The applications of hand water pump are as follows
- The applications of hand water pump are major in rural areas for daily home needs.
- The hand-operated water pump is also used for agricultural purposes too.
- In rural areas, the major population depends upon the groundwater for drinking.
The hand-operated water pump is used vastly in the earlier days because of shortage and difficulties in delivering the river, and pond water to every village and agricultural lands. But the scenario is changed, every village is utilizing the river and pond water using the storage tanks and delivering pipes. Due to this, the hand-operated water pump usage is decreasing slowly.
We do even find many applications of hand water pump around us and majorly in villages because there are few areas and colonies that are unable to utilize the river and pond water. In India, the usage is decreasing slowly; it may be because of existing of ground water or utilization of river water.
There are few areas where the hand-operated water pumps are not in usage due to the absence of groundwater. Those areas are also unable to find the river and pond water for their daily needs too. Overall, the hand-operated water pumps helped and still helping the people to satisfy their thirst and needs.