What is Dial Gauge?
Dial Gauge is a device or a component or an instrument that uses the Numbers, Indicators, and internal mechanism to give a standard measured value of a particular job or a component. It is also called as Dial Indicator. In the field of Mechanical, Dial Gauges plays a very prominent role in the Production, Fabrication and Quality departments mostly.
The Dial Gauges are testing tools that are sensitive in construction and handling. The Function of the Internal Mechanism, mainly the spindle movement is prominent for its working. The Dial Gauge does what a human cannot. A human can observe and predict the things that can be seen by his naked eyes but when it comes to the small and nano mistake, he should depend upon other components. So, Dial Gauge or Dial Indicator will be the one of them that helps humans to rectify the mistakes in Production, Fabrication of Components, Tools, Devices, etc.
Table of Contents
Use of Dial Gauge:
The use of Dial Gauge is vast and prominent in the mechanical tool rooms, and quality checking. Their uses are as follows:
- The Dials are used to measure the distances in few components.
- It is used to measure the run-outs of a machine part and machining components to maintain accurate measurements.
Dial Gauge Least Count:
- Dial Gauge Least Count can also call as Dial Indicator least count. The Least Count is the minimum measurement that an instrument can able to measure any component and every measuring instrument (vernier caliper, micrometer, pressure gauge, etc) does consist of the least count to choose its field of application.
- It is a Special Case and Precision Instrument that we can measure up to a value of 0.001 mm if it is a special purpose dial otherwise, the dial can measure up to 0.01 mm only.
- So, the Dial Gauge Least Count (or dial indicator least count) is 0.01 mm for general dials and 0.001 mm for special purpose indicators.
- So, according to its least count value, it can conclude that the dial is a highly accurate measuring device or gauge that other instruments cannot.
Main Components of Dial Gauge:
Dials are analog type and the indicator is used to show the value of the measured component so due to the usage of indicator, this device is also called Dial Indicator. So, the Dial Indicator requires a particular setup and components for its working, therefore the main components of Dial Indicator are as follows:
- Gear or Pinion Gear
Dial Gauge Working:
The Dial working is analog whereas; the responses can be found by the indicator. Therefore the Dial Indicator movement depends upon the probe and the gear. The Probe can be called Plunger; it is a sensitive and flexible mini rod type component whereas, it can move up and down (to and fro motion) when it is placed on the job.
To measure the value of the particular component......
The probe of the Dial Indicator should gently move upon the component, then due to the probe movement, the gear inside the Dial will rotate.
Observe the Rack and Pinion mechanism
- The Probe acts as Rack and Gear as Pinion (we can observe in the image). When the probe is moved upward direction, due to the connection of probe and gear, the gear will rotate.
- The indicator of the dial gauge is fixed to the Pinion gear and due to the pinion gear movement, the indicator will rotate, such movement is the response that we want to find out.
Dial Gauge Application:
As we read that the Dial Gauges application is vast, and used in tool rooms, machining places. Apart from them, the Dial Indicator can be used in
- They can be used for high accuracy and for measuring the angles of the tapered components at laboratories mostly.
- Dial Indicator is used for checking the run-outs of the shafts.
- Dial Gauge used for the calibration of the machines, slip gauges, etc.
- They are also used for the Quality Departments and tool rooms for acceptance of the tools or components.
So, these are the Dial Indicator applications in the mechanical field; in addition to these, the Dial Indicators is used for testing the roughness of the surfaces too.
Dials or Dial Indicator is a sensitive and high accurate gauge, due to its sensitiveness they need to be handled very carefully and store at still places. As it is highly sensitive so, the dials are costly. Its importance is very high and vast in the mechanical field for high precision tools. Handling of the Dial needs special education and special observation too. At most, the Dial Indicator is one of the important and chief devices that can be used.