What is Bearing?
A Bearing is one of the most useful components in the Machines. Bearing is used to reduce the friction whenever a machine component needs to slide or rotate.
For example, a shaft will transfer the torque from one end to the other so, to achieve a smooth and frictionless movement, the shafts are fixed into the bearings. Due to the bearings, the shaft can rotate freely without any friction. We can see a few bearings in the roof fans, table fans, motors, etc.
What can you learn from this post?
- Function of Bearing
- Classification of Bearing
- Types of Bearings
- What Is Radial Bearing?
- What is Thrust Bearing?
- What is Sliding Contact Bearing?
- What is Rolling Contact Bearing?
- Ball Bearing.
- Roller Bearing Type.
- Needle Roller Bearing.
- Tapered Roller Bearing.
- Application of Bearing
Function of Bearing:
The function of bearing is vast and plays an important role in the sliding and rotating bodies. The function of the bearing will be
- Usage of Bearing will help the parts to slide and rotate smoothly.
- Bearing will decreases the friction between the parts.
- The Bearing will increase the life span of the parts too.
These are the function of bearing.
Classification of Bearing:
The Bearings are classified according to some parameters, they are
- According to the load–bearing, the bearings are two types, they are as follows
- Radial Bearing
- Thrust Bearing
- According to the Nature of Contact, there are types and they are
- Sliding Contact Bearing.
- Rolling Contact Bearing.
Types of Bearing:
What Is Radial Bearing?
The Radial Bearing is a type of bearing whereas; the load of the components on the bearing is applied perpendicular to the horizontal axis of the bearing.
What Is Thrust Bearing?
The Thrust Bearing is another type of bearing whereas; a load of the components on the bearing will be applied parallel to the horizontal axis of the bearing.
What Is Sliding Contact Bearing?
Sliding Contact Bearing is a type of bearing classified according to the nature of the contact. The sliding contact bearing is used at sliding movements. The sliding movement between the components develops high friction and to decrease the friction and toughness, the sliding contact bearings are used. It will decrease the friction between the parts and a smooth movement can be achieved.
There are different types of sliding contact bearing, they are
- Full Journal Bearing.
- Partial Journal Bearing.
- Fitted Journal Bearing.
What Is Rolling Contact Bearing?
Roller Contact Bearing is a type of bearing that classified according to the nature of contact bearing. This type of bearing is used at rotary movements. Rolling Contact Bearing is of two types. They are
1. Ball Bearing:
Ball Bearing is a type of rolling contact bearing that consists of stainless steel sphere balls that help to move the parts smoothly. In ball bearing type the whole load of the components falls on the balls and the movement occurs due to the balls so it is called the Ball Bearing.
2. Roller Bearing Type:
The Roller Bearing type of bearing looks like rollers (horizontally long and cylindrical shape) Here we can observe the cut section of the Roller Bearing. Due to the roller shape, the contact between the bearing and component is much.
Roller Bearing is further divided into two types, they are
- Needle Roller Bearing: The shape of the bearing is a roller but the diameter of the roller is smaller and looks like a needle, so this type of bearing is called a Needle Roller Bearing.
- Tapered Roller Bearing: In Tapered Roller Bearing, the Roller is in varying diameters that mean the diameter of the Roller will gradually decrease from one side to another such decrease in diameter is called Taper and the Bearings is called Tapered Roller Bearing.
Application of Bearing:
As told, the application of bearing is vast and every sliding and rotary movement machine does consist of bearing. So, few applications of bearing are as follows.
- Bearings are used in Printing Machines, and Lathe Machines whereas; the shaft rotates without any friction due to the application of bearing.
- Bearing is used in the Fans whereas; the fan can rotate without any friction due to the application of bearing.
- Bearings can be used in Sugarcane Machines for the smooth rotation of rollers
- Bearings are used in the sliding movements in drawers of desks.
These are the few application of bearing.
Bearings are one of the internal components of machines. They cannot be accounted as an individual when we talk about the machine because the motion of the parts is smooth and frictionless only because of the bearings that are used. Even the bearings do have a life cycle whenever the life span of a bearing is completed, it can be replaced by the new one.
So, sounds between the components and run-outs (in few cases) in the shafts are one of the symbols of bearing damage or bearing life span completion.